Scots doctor accused of slapping and pushing patient in A&E

A LEADING Scots doctor has appeared before a professional misconduct hearing to face claims he slapped and pushed a patient in an accident and emergency department.

Philip Anderson, a consultant at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, is alleged to have aggressively told the person in his care: “This is a fight you are not going to win.”

The case against him alleges that while working at the Western Infirmary in Glasgow two years ago, Dr Anderson struck a patient on the face with the back of his hand and pushed him down on the bed “with excessive force”.

It is further alleged that, during the January 2014 incident, Dr Anderson, of Giffnock, East Renfrewshire, spoke to the man in an “aggressive” manner.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde suspended the medic on full pay, which can amount to more than £100,000 per year for an experienced consultant.

A spokeswoman for the health board said that Dr Anderson “was the subject of a disciplinary process” but has now been reinstated and back working at the Royal Infirmary.

However, further proceedings against him got under way in Manchester yesterday, where a General Medical Council (GMC) misconduct tribunal will hear evidence until April 27.

The allegation against him states: “The tribunal will inquire into the allegation that in January 2014, while employed as a consultant in emergency medicine, Dr Anderson deliberately struck a patient’s cheek, pushed the patient on to the bed with excessive force and spoke to the patient in an aggressive manner.

“The above reflects the allegation as it stands at the start of the hearing. The allegation may be amended as the hearing proceeds and when findings of fact are made by the tribunal.”

It is understood that following the alleged incident, Dr Anderson began work in the employ of a separate health board, Ayrshire and Arran.

Insiders suggested he took up a post at Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock but the Ayrshire and Arran health board refused to confirm this, or even say whether Dr Anderson was ever employed by them.

Alison Graham, the medical director of NHS Ayrshire and Arran, said: “It would be inappropriate for NHS Ayrshire and Arran to comment on Dr Anderson as he was not working in our health board when the alleged incident took place.”

A spokesman for the Crown Office said there was no record of any pending criminal proceedings against the medic.

The GMC opened their case yesterday and provided tribunal members with documents to read. It is expected to continue today.

In October last year it emerged a doctor accused of sexually assaulting a patient has been struck off the medical register after lying about the incident in his application to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.

Jose Jacob was sacked from his previous role when the allegation came to light in April 2014, and became the subject of a police and GMC investigation.

Later that year, with the probe still under way, Mr Jacob applied for a post with the health board as a locum consultant cardiologist.

When asked in his application if he was subject of any ongoing police investigation or fitness to practise proceedings, he circled “no” in his application.

His lies came to light when personnel staff carried out checks on his application.

The Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service said his conduct was “particularly serious, in it related to providing untruthful and misleading declaration”. to a potential employer.



Scotlightdaily.com is the online edition of Scotland's favourite newspapers, that brings you your Daily news. Every day we bring you the best in Scottish news, sport, entertainment and opinion, including breaking news, picture galleries, videos and live blogs.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *