Scots actor John Hannah slams ‘fascist f***wits’ after Catholic is priest ‘spat at and hit with baton’ during Orange March

A prominent Scottish actor has said he is 'ashamed' of Glasgow in the wake of an attack on a Catholic priest.

Four Weddings and a Funeral star John Hannah hit out at 'facist f***wits' following the incident during the Orange Walk on Saturday.

It is alleged that Canon Tom White was spat on twice, before being lunged at by a man with a pole, while speaking to parishioners outside St Alphonsus Church in Glasgow.

Read more: Priest reportedly assaulted outside Glasgow Catholic church as massive Orange Walk marched past

In a statement on Facebook, the Archdiocese said that both Canon White and his parishioners had been "subjected to vile abuse".

The Catholic Church slammed the shocking incident in a statement released online yesterday.

Hannah joined in the condemnation and held nothing back when voicing his strong views on the Orange Order.

He said: “It’s the 21st century and my city, Glasgow, still allows this barbaric, bigoted bunch of medieval f***wits to parade through the city displaying their narrow minded blinkered version of fascism for the whole world to see.

Read more: Priest reportedly assaulted outside Glasgow Catholic church as massive Orange Walk marched past

"I’m ashamed of you Glasgow!!!"

The post was met with a number of responses and was retweeted more than 1,700 times.

One social media user replied saying: "How about the Hibernian walks that march right outside the city chambers playing songs mocking the British army’s dead ?

"Bottom line John – live and let live – same city allows marches celebrating 1916 uprising and its songs at Parkhead."

Another added: "I appreciate all are entitled to free speech.

"However when the rhetoric is intended to incite breed hate and contempt towards those from different cultural backgrounds it should be banned. What’s the point in remembering a battle from 328 years ago."

Twitter user Stewart Paul replied: "Utterly appalling, John! This movement has no place in modern day Scottish society."

An estimated 4,500 people took part in the parade while another 4,500 followed.

Four arrests were made throughout the day, however none were connected to priest's assault.

Read more: Priest reportedly assaulted outside Glasgow Catholic church as massive Orange Walk marched past

Police are treating the incident as a hate crime.

A spokesperson said: “Police Scotland were made aware that a priest at the Barras was assaulted outside his church around 5.20pm yesterday.

“The parade was passing the church at the time. We are investigating the incident as a hate crime. Enquiries are on-going.”

A spokesman for Glasgow City Council, said: "

“We utterly condemn this appalling behaviour and urge anyone with any information on the incident to contact police.

“A meeting with council officers will be held this week to discuss ongoing issues.

“We will also continue to liaise with Police Scotland, organisers, the Scottish Government, third parties and stakeholders as part of the council’s processions code of conduct.

“Our aim is always to strike a reasonable balance between protecting the fundamental right of individuals and organisations to organise and participate in public processions, and the need to minimise disruption to the wider community by protecting the rights of all Glasgow’s citizens to go about their business without unnecessary disturbance and interference.”



Scotlightdaily.com is the online edition of Scotland's favourite newspapers, that brings you your Daily news. Every day we bring you the best in Scottish news, sport, entertainment and opinion, including breaking news, picture galleries, videos and live blogs.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *