SCOTTISH boxing legend Ricky Burns has the chance to become a world champion again in 2016 – six years after he first won the WBO super-featherweight crown.
Promoter Eddie Hearn has told the 32-year-old he’ll box for a belt on the undercard of heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua’s next fight at London’s O2 on April 9.
Burns' manager Alex Morrison said: "Ricky's stopped his last two opponents and we've been told that he'll be fighting for a belt of some kind on the undercard of the Joshua bill.
"If he comes through that then he'll definitely be given a world title shot in the summer – probably against WBO lightweight champ Terry Flanagan.
"This is great news for Ricky, especially since his bankruptcy order ends in March. This will be a fresh start for him."
Burns was declared bankrupt nine months ago, with debts of £420,000, after losing a legal battle with former promoter Frank Warren.
The Coatbridge fighter took the WBO super-featherweight belt from Roman Martinez at the Kelvin Hall in 2010 and made three successful defences before moving up to lightweight, winning the title against Paulus Moses and keeping it for another three fights before losing to American Terence Crawford in March last year.